Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Little Things For Little Ones

My youngest is nine-years-old and the last year has been particularly frightening for him. You see, my sweet boy was adopted when just a little infant and this is a truth my husband and I have always been open and honest about. He also knows that his birth mom was very sick and is now in Heaven. Although he doesn't know the particulars of his bio-mother's illness, he understands the concept of death and the idea of losing a mommy again is too much to bear.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I almost didn't survive last summer. When things had become very bad and I was about to leave ICU for emergency surgery, he overheard discussions among staff and family about the severity of it all - that I may not pull through. He also witnessed tears, tubes, and bandages that frightened him. I was in the hospital a very long time and even when I came home, my changes came with me along with a host of medical gear and visiting nurses. As a result, he has a great deal of fear each time I am hospitalized.

Having Vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, my trips and stays in the hospital are frequent. It has been my luck that most of these excursions occur in the middle of the night. As a result, my little guy has come in my bedroom several times over the last few months to make sure I am still home. I have him in counseling and I have made it known to him that the discussion topic is always open to him when he needs it. I also save special snacks for him for when he comes to visit and if I see the recreational therapists, I ask for art activities that I can do with him.

Recently I was back in and I had a new idea. I thought if I could take pictures of some of the good things about being in the hospital, I could send him the pics with text messages so he won't just picture the worst.

Like....


"Happy Face Stars" to hang on my wall....


Yummy chocolate pudding that doesn't taste like regular hospital food....


And the moment when I received my freedom papers. 

Maybe as time passes my stays in the hospital won't be so devastating for him. I don't really know. If anyone has tips and tricks for helping their young ones cope, please feel free to share in the comments section. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment